Director of Marketing at Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Consumer Goods | Greater Denver Area, US
Neal Stewart’s marketing career includes both agency and client side experience in a variety industries including retail, non-profit and consumer package goods.
From 2000–2006, Neal worked at Pabst Brewing Company as the Brand Manager and eventually, Marketing Director with a primary focus on the Pabst Blue Ribbon brand. At Pabst, Neal’s marketing strategy focused on initiating word of mouth and loyalty with influential consumers by supporting grass-roots and subculture events. As a result, in 2002 PBR’s volume increased for the first time in 23 years and eventually increased volume 45% from 2002 – 2006. Neal also managed several other brands within the Pabst portfolio, including Rainier Beer which was recognized with several advertising and marketing industry awards for its “RainierVision” branded entertainment campaign.
In 2006, Neal moved over to the Craft Beer side and was the Director of Marketing for Flying Dog Brewery in Denver, CO where he is led the craft brewer’s branding efforts. In just over a year with the company, Flying Dog was recognized within the beer industry as a brewer who has embraced social media and leveraged it for increased exposure on a lean budget.
Neal was recognized in 2004 by Fast Company as one of the “Fast 50” and was named to the Event Marketer Magazine’s 2005 “Dream Team”. Neal has also been a presenting speaker at several marketing and beer industry conferences.
Specialties: buzz/viral marketing, strategic planning, brand planning, budgeting, agency management, creative concepting, field marketing, on-premise promotions, web 2.0 marketing, blogging, social networking, event marketing, branded entertainment, public relations, media planning, mobile marketing, packaging design, product launch, digital marketing, turkey sandwiches, go-karts, beer
2014 - Present
Director of Marketing / Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Director of Brand Marketing / THANASI Foods
Account Director : MillerCoors / The Integer Group
Integer is a world leader in shopper and retail marketing and globally part of TBWA
- Directly responsible and accountable for the day-to-day operations on the MillerCoors, Small Format (Convenience and Drug) Channel business
- Lead the development of meaningful Convenience and Drug Channel shopper marketing solutions for Miller Lite and Coors Light
- Develop and manage client relationships with the MillerCoors retail marketing team
- Mentor and manage a team of seven Account Leadership executives
- Translate client creative briefs to develop meaningful strategies and insightful direction for the creative team
- Present strategic thinking, ideas and tactics to build consensus and sell-in to clients
- Proactively provide thought-leadership to clients
Senior Brand Manager / Mark Anthony Brands
- Lead the development of short and long-term strategic planning, including annual business plans, pricing, promotion and innovation strategy
- Managed new product launch and go-to-market process which includes building consensus with the Executive Team throughout the gating process, packaging design and establishing key performance indicators
- Supervised advertising, media and promotions agencies by providing effective creative briefs and feedback on concepts
- Activated a $1.5MM television value-add campaign for THE CLASSIC MARGARITA by mike’s and $1MM print campaign for mike’s HARD PUNCH
- Managed a national off-premise sampling program for the launch of THE CLASSIC MARGARITA by mike’s where over 5000 events will be executed at retail
-Given my background in activating effective social media campaigns, appointed as the point person for all social media activities across all brands and portfolios
- Consulted Trade Marketing team on all sales promotion programs including sweepstakes, retailer specific programming, cross-promotions and couponing
- Was responsible for directly managing two people including an Associate Brand Manager and the In-house Creative Coordinator
Director of Marketing / Flying Dog Brewery
- Collaborated with the Executive Team to write and then implement the Marketing strategy
- Recommended and launching new brands, styles and SKUs to reach and maximize profit and volume goals
- Concepted and approved all packaging designs
- Worked with purchasing and production to manage packaging material inventories and packaging dates
- Portfolio manangement, public relations, advertising, event marketing, website/online marketing, POS, etc.
- Implemented an innovative social media initiative to build consumer awareness and improve brand image among heavy category users
- Directed online and offline merchandise sales (Increased sales +100% vs. LY)
- Helped drive 75% growth over three years
Marketing Director / Pabst Brewing Company
Promoted to Marketing Director due to proven success in brand management role. Shortly after promotion, was appointed top position within the department, reporting to CEO and eventually resulting in eight direct reports. Accountable for the allocation, implementation and execution the company’s $20MM+ marketing budget and provide senior management with portfolio management analysis, recommendations and insights that steer the overall company strategy.
IMPACT: Successfully facilitated and streamlined company’s brand planning process through a senior management (CEO) change while aligning key stakeholders on corporate strategy.
• Managed and supervised the entire Marketing Department, including Brand Management, Marketing Services, Media as well as a staff of 20 Brand Ambassadors
- Conducted training and marketing workshops for all brand marketers
- Conducted all departmental hiring and employee reviews and made organizational recommendations
Brand Manager / Pabst Brewing Company
• IMPACT: Created and managed a field marketing program with eight Brand Ambassadors that increased on-premise volume by over 40% in both 2003 and 2004 and championed the re-branding campaign of Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer which was featured as the “Marketing of No Marketing” in the New York Times Sunday Magazine (6/22/03) resulting in three consecutive years of growth on Pabst Blue Ribbon brand for the first time since 1978
- New strategy resulted in reversing double-digit losses to +8% growth in brand’s key market
-Interviewed and hired agency of record who produced award-winning “RainierVision”
• Acted as company and Pabst Blue Ribbon brand spokesperson for all media inquiries
• Tracked, analyzed and communicated business performance to senior management, utilizing syndicated data (IRI), shipment data and wholesaler depletions
• Wrote and presented brand plans and results to sr. mgmt. and distributors
• Featured in Fast Company as one of 2004’s “Fast 50” innovative business leaders
Promotions Coordinator / St. Louis Union Station (Rouse Company)